Name:
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Monday, June 30, 2008

I sold my soul pour un verre de l'eau

Well, I haven't posted one of my poems in quite some time, so I figured I'd post a new one now. (Note: the title translates to "I sold my soul for a glass of water" in English.)

I sold my soul pour un verre de l'eau

I sold my soul pour un verre de l'eau.

Unable to perpetuate, I gave in
to the surrounding, sweeping presence
of solidarity, my solitude snapping
like a twig, with a twist

I gave up my life for melted ice
in a cup carved by unclean hands
from men of isolated lands
who will never know the Truth

The tears I cry exceed the cup, once dry
before it was filled with the substance
that sufficed to saturate the sustenance
that leeched my life from me

Free, they said, in this land
as if I'd never been before
Paradise closed his door
and left me to continue on
in life
or in death
all I get is more

Looming gloom will be here soon,
I'm one of them now, they reckon;
they're green and brown, like slime and mud
seeking to ensnare souls with shrubberies
self-seeking, without supernatural affiliation--
all this for one glass of water?

Dear God.

I have lost my place to cite
what is wrong and what is right.
My dreams betrayed my hope
for my hope was but a dream.

The breeze that skims my face
whispers calmer words that whisk
my weary eyes to a puddle
filled with mud.
Staring in, I see
a meadow of beating hearts
without a soul to be found
and my reflection
as the rain comes down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home