Name:
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ash Wednesday

Well today being Ash Wednesday, I do believe it would be appropriate to post something pertaining to the day at hand. So here's a work which I've very cleverly titled "Ash Wednesday." Enjoy!


Ash Wednesday
By Andrew Vlasblom

Ash Wednesday. The first day of March.
What a way to begin the season of Lent.
Forty-six days remaining 'til Easter.
'Twill be a blessed event!

But let's focus on today for a moment.
The Day of Ashes, Dies Cinerum.

So we acknowledge this day. Why?
How does this relate to the Christ who came to die?
Shall we take a look behind the event
And why we recognize this period "Lent?"

Nah, let's not.
Instead, what I'm going to do
Is tell you how I would interpret this day
And how we might truly construe.

When I think of the origins of "Ash Wednesday,"
What immediately comes to mind?
For myself, the words "Ash" and "Wednesday" stick out,
And so I process the two combined.

So logically, I would then consider
The origins of each word.
I'll define, keeping in mind
These are definitions you've likely not heard.

"Ash" is translated by some
To be a post-burning residue, folks.
I, however, see it as more of an acronym:
An "Aforethought Scandalous Hoax."

The word "Wednesday" is said to have been derived
From the planet Mercury.
I say, let's stay earthbound
And look at this literally!

Mercury, we realize, is the smallest planet,
Closest of all to the fiery sphere;
The size is perhaps Wednesday's stature,
And the closeness resembling ash austere?

Anyway...

Dividing the word, I find Wed-n-es-day
And in each section, a heart:
Translates to me, "Wed on this day."
So then, 'til death do us part! ...?

So with these two words defined,
From my point of view, I see
That combining these words makes for
A seriously wrong kind of comedy.

With all this said, my take is that
"Ash Wednesday" is a name in disguise
For the innocent girls all over the world
Receiving fake proposals from guys.

It brings a tear to my eye.

Yet perhaps from the fiery tears of the girls,
There lingers a subtle residue;
Forming ash that burns their innocent hearts -
Never again will they ever subdue.

Strange, yet inspiring, Ash Wednesday would seem;
Its premise is blue, yet its message serene.

So for all those who've been
Debating this day...
I hope I have influenced you
In a positive way!

If not, just know that I do understand;
This text I've composed primarily offhand.
At times I know I'd do well to expand;
But my goal was simply to not be bland.

Now I know I've completed that goal.

Copyright (C) 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home